Midweek Quickie; Tofush & Chips

I've been wanting to try tofush for ages, and was totally jealous when Massive Munch went to work in Nottingham and had a massive plateful at The Peacock. When he came home, he would not shut his greedy gob, raving about how much he loved it. He nearly lost his voice (and a few appendages) shortly after. Anyway, I wouldn't have been able to eat that one due to the evil wheaty batter it would have been encased in, so I was always going to have to make my own. I finally gathered together enough energy to convince my mum she wanted to take me to Charlton and off I trotted to to See Woo to get some tasty tofu.

Tofu obtained, there was no time to lose - I had the final ingredient to make my tofush dreams come true! And by gosh, did it live up to expectation!

It is the greatest thing I've made in ages days. It nearly made me forget about my delicious descent into chickpea nuggets. Anyway, as someone who this time last year thought that seafood would be the hardest thing for me to give up, I am pleased to have discovered something that fully satisfies my salty, sea based cravings. Well, unless Norwegian Navy Lieutenant Lasse L. Matberg fancies popping by for a visit, then I'm sure I've got a few itches he could scratch better than battered tofu.

Ahem. Before I get lost down that road, you should probably have a look at the recipe. 



Tofush
serves 2


250g tofu, washed, dried and pressed
2 tbsp tamari
vinegar
2 tsp kelp powder
1 nori sheet
High smoke point oil

for the batter
1 cup of gluten free flour mix
1 tsp kelp powder
1 tsp herbamare
soda water


  1. Cover your block of pressed tofu in the vinegar, tamari and 2 tsp of kelp powder and marinate for a couple of hours.
  2. Drain and pat dry your tofu, reserving the liquid.
  3. Now is a good time to get an inch or so of oil on to heat in a deep pan. If you start now, you won't have to wait for it to be hot enough to receive your tofush.
  4. Cut the tofu block in half to make 2 "meaty fillets"
  5. Whisk together all of your dry batter ingredients and dust each piece of tofu with flour.
  6. Add all that salty, vinegary, sea flavoured reserved marinating liquid to the flour and mix, finish off your batter to your desired thickness with soda water.
  7. Cut your nori sheet in half and wrap each tofu piece in it. Sticking the flappy bit down with a bit of batter definitely helps.
  8. Dip your fillets in the batter, fish out (see what I did there?) and gently (especially if you're balancing it on a fork - you'd think I'd have learnt hot oil lessons by now...) lower in into the hot oil. Watch it bubble in a satisfying manner and retrieve your tofush once it's crispy.
  9. Serve with some homemade chips, I like to cook mine in a hot oven in sesame oil.
  10. Ta-da! Friday night fishy dinner can still be a thing. I just need to either make my own tofu or get my lazy arse to Charlton more frequently. 
  11. I'll probably learn to make tofu.




Comments

Popular Posts