Such a Jerky Tempeh!

Soooooooo, the easiest way of exploring dairy free things is by looking into vegan things, and whilst meddling in the lands of veganism, I discovered tempeh. I immediately wanted it and bought some organic tempeh and a bucketload of vegan cheese to try out from Veggie Stuff.

Tempeh is made from soy beans but is formed into a cake and has a much firmer, meatier texture than tofu.

I wasn't sure how to use it, but have been craving Caribbean food for a while so I thought I'd try some sort of approximation of a jerk marinade. So I knocked the one below together, and popped it in the fridge overnight. It's not entirely authentic, but it's a good, simple marinade with a decent amount of kick.

The next morning I went to Lewisham market with my mother. I LOVE LEWISHAM. Not only can you get shitloads of fruit and veg for £1 a bowl, but whilst there I discovered something called breadfruit. A lovely couple on their stall talked me through how to use it and I was even given a demonstration of how to cut and prepare it and decided it would be perfect to accompany my jerky business.

That's one meal and two new ingredients. YES. Vegan win.

So, due to being a simple soul, I'm giving you my jerk recipe now and my breadfruit one will follow next. Be patient, and find somewhere that sells breadfruit whilst you wait.


Jerky Tempeh
Serves 4 if served with breadfruit and rice & peas

Jerk Marinade:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp tamari
2 red chillies, chopped (obviously you could use scotch bonnets or something hotter, but this is what I had, so ner.)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch ginger, minced/finely grated
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar or maple syrup
1 tsp all spice
1 tsp thyme
salt & pepper

the rest:
200g chilled tempeh, chopped into thumb sized pieces (my thumbs are quite small)
1/2 yellow courgette, chopped into thumb sized peices
1/4 head of broccoli, chopped into thumbla...bla bla bla..


  1. Put all of the marinade ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
  2. Add in the tempeh and veg and mix until thoroughly coated. Cover with cling film and pop in the fridge overnight, or at least for a few hours if your planning sucks.
  3. The next day, when you're ready to eat, heat a frying pan on a moderate heat, and add some coconut oil. Once hot, add the marinated tempeh and veg and cook until tempeh darkens slightly and everything is hot all the way through.
  4. Serve with rice & peas and some laaaahvly, buttery breadfruit.
  5. Feel full, but want more. Make your desire fight with your actual stomach capacity.
  6. VEGAN WIN.







Comments

Popular Posts